Friday, February 4, 2011

blogs from the land of no internet

Since I'm back home now, and alive, and safe, and whatever, here are the blogs I wrote and couldn't post while I was in Egypt last week. I really don't want to go back through and read them again, because I know I would totally want to edit to edit them to death.
Honestly, keep in mind that whatever I wrote about thinking or feeling, I'm fine now and home, and everything is good, mostly. So, here is my blog from Friday January 28th, and I'll be posting the following few days really soon:

When I arrived in Egypt for the first time five months ago, it was Ramadan. The streets were thronged with people all throughout the night, sometimes the city was eerily quiet, and it was really hard to get food.
Now, I’m back in Cairo for another semester, and there are riots. I’m sure you’ve heard about them in the news. I’m not planning on going and joining the protesters, but I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to avoid the consequences of everything that’s going on.
Just during the drive from the airport, we saw (and felt) tear gas in the air, and groups of men marching on the highways. The shops that are normally brightly lit well into the night were closed and barred, and it was only seven o’clock.
The dorm lobby was packed with students, some waiting for free pizza, and some waiting for the chance to make a one minute phone call to their families to let them know we’re all okay. (One minute phone calls are no good, by the way. You barely get to say anything before you have to hang up and let the next person have their chance.)
The reason for the regulated phone calls, by the way, is because the Egyptian government has cut off all mobile phones and the internet (not just social networking sites like twitter and facebook, but everything) to the entire country. That’s why this blog will have to be posted tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow.
Basically, I’m fine, we’re all fine, I’ll do my best to keep everyone updated, once I get the internet back of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment