Monday, September 27, 2010

complaining - a good way to get what you want?

Sometimes, complaining seems like the only way to get stuff done at AUC. If you talk to the right people at the right time and tell them your problems and make a big enough deal about it, your problem will most likely get solved. This is fairly contrary to the way I generally go about getting things done in the States. It does seem to work in Egypt, though, sometimes in magical ways.
For instance, I was talking to my friend today about scholarships, and how I hadn't even been told of the result of the largest scholarship I applied to, even though it was long past the notification date. Not three hours later, I checked my email in the library to find that I had been accepted for the scholarship. Clearly, my complaining about it made it happen. What else could it be? Crazy random happenstance, maybe.
The scholarship is for international students studying Egyptology at AUC, and I didn't really expect to get it when I applied, because I'd heard that the competition was really intense. I'm so excited, though, because I've never won anything like this before! As long as crazy Egyptian/AUC-ian bureaucracy doesn't screw things up, everything should go great. It's a big relief since I was starting to wonder about money for my travels around Europe this winter break, but now I don't have to. Yay!
I also studied for my map quiz in the library today. Thankfully the quiz turned out to not be today, but at least I've already started studying. Here's one of my practice maps, and my tempting alternative to studying, no matter how many times I've already read it:
which looks like a better use of my time?
Today on campus all the students in the plaza, including myself, were treated to an impromptu guitar and singing duet of that classic American tune "Rockstar", by Nickelback. I'd post the video here, but I really can't stand that song, so I won't. I'm sure you know it, though. The guys who were playing looked like they were having fun, though, so good for them. I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to play that song (or any other, for that matter) in public that loudly.
yay for enthusiastic covers of sucky songs!
After I got home, I met up with my friends to go out to dinner. Well, I say dinner. I mean waffles. Well, I say waffles. I mean waffles covered with chocolate. Well, I say chocolate. I mean nutella and ice cream. Yeah. That's what I mean. It was delicious, and while I probably won't substitute it for dinner again, I'll definitely go back for dessert!
waffles and nutella = love (probably a bad life strategy...)
And that's it for this Monday. Tomorrow is my day off, and I'm planning on sleeping in for as long as possible, and maybe taking a trip to the Cairo Museum. I'll let you know!
(Also, since maybe my luck will hold, I'm going to complain about something else: my roommate goes to bed so early! I hate to disturb her, but to avoid that, I have to leave the room completely just to talk to my family on Skype or do my Arabic homework. I feel like I can't say that she's disturbing me by going to sleep, because I know that's a horrible thing to say, but still. I would rather her wake me up in the middle of the night by coming in late than her go to bed early and force me out of the room. I guess that's just because I'd rather have something real to complain about, huh? Yeah, I'll stop whining now. Sorry.)
borders recommended this to me today.
get your own ideas, james patterson!

4 comments:

  1. Alright, it took me a little while to get around to it but, I finally was able to read through the AWESOME new blog posts!
    I love it! You have certainly been a busy "Indiana Jones" (that would be a reference to an OLD 1980's movie :)).
    I am not quite up on my historical map reading - so, I would go with Gaiman and Pratchett.
    Keep up with these amazing posts - I feel like I get to live vicariously through your adventures!
    By the way did you see that the LA Times Festival of Books is moving to USC this year?
    Looking forward to more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise, I am so enjoying your blog. I have recommended it to a couple of my friends. Thanks for sharing your adventures, thoughts, photos and music recommendations. I hope your leg is doing better.

    Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise!!!

    sorry.. i couldnt resist yelling. lol

    Being a fellow Good Omens fan... i vote Good Omens! Then again that may also be because I'm a terrible student with a horrible knack for procrastination.

    I hope the issue with your leg is resolved. And im glad your complaining is working to your advantage. xP


    <3 u LOTS,

    MAGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ mr roth - i can't believe it's moving to usc. that just seems so weird! i guess maybe it will be less crowded?
    @ aunt julie - thanks for commenting! i love hearing from you. :]
    @ maggie - NO YELLING! use your library voice in my blog, please. :P
    (and i totally chose good omens once i learned my test wasn't imminent.)

    ReplyDelete