Thursday, September 9, 2010

lazy days

Sometimes I think lazy days are for the best. I woke up today around 9 am with this in mind, and gosh darn it if I didn't leave the dorm building until 7 at night.
I woke up, I showered, I took a nap. I woke up, realized I had drooled all over my pillow and decided it was time to do something. Then I watched some youtube videos, and checked twitter and facebook. I haven't mentioned this before, but the time difference really annoys me sometimes. I'm used to being able to check facebook and twitter in the mornings and have a lot of interesting stuff to read, but because of the time difference, that just doesn't work here. All the interesting posts come through while I'm in class, and obviously I can't read them then. I can't explain why it happens, I just know it bugs me. The only good thing I've discovered about the internet and the time difference is that the web comics I read get posted about mid-morning, instead of a few hours after midnight, which lets me catch up on sleep instead of waiting for them.
Basically, the only real accomplishments I've made today are finishing my Arabic homework, walking to McDonald's for dinner (it's the last day of Ramadan, by the way, and I'm really excited), and filming this week's vlog. I'll post the vlog below when I can; it's not uploaded to youtube yet, so it might be a while. (Warning: this vlog doesn't have cool Egypt footage of me visiting places. It's just me in my bedroom talking to my friends about stuff.)

Okay, I'm going to try and catch a few hours sleep before I have to wake up to leave for Luxor. The time changes for all of Egypt tonight, in a very confusing fashion, which means I get one hour less sleep than I thought, but that's okay.
If you're confused about why the time is changing, don't be. It's really very simple. Normally, Egypt practices Daylight Saving Time (otherwise known as this), but during Ramadan, switches back to normal time to make it easier on people who are fasting. Since Ramadan is over, DST comes back, we lose an hour (making the time difference back home 10 hours instead of 9), and then we wait a few weeks, and then go off DST like normal. Understand? Now try catching the bus or making it to class on time.
My next vlog will be written in Luxor or Aswan tomorrow, but won't get posted here until Monday because I've decided to leave my computer here where it's safe.
Here's a youtube video I've been watching a lot lately, Ben Folds performing one of my favorite Dresden Dolls songs:

No comments:

Post a Comment