Friday, October 29, 2010

dollars to pounds

Today was the start of a really good weekend. Or at least, that's how it's looking now. For the first time in forever, I have the whole weekend off, with no plans, no field trips, no crazy intense midterms to study for, nothing. Just catch-up reading, some Arabic homework, and an essay/project for anthro.
Speaking of which, I learned on Thursday that what my professor meant by '6-8 pages' was really 'something under 6 pages, please'. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem clear from his original statement. Not that I'm going to argue about being asked to write a shorter paper, especially when I don't really have anything to say. 6 pages or under is great with me.
Plus, this weekend is good because it's almost Halloween, which I love, even though I don't really have any plans like I normally do. Except for getting pomegranates, because that's not a tradition I'm willing to sacrifice. At home, my next door neighbors have a pomegranate tree, and every year, instead of giving out candy, they leave a bucket of pomegranates out on the doorstep for anyone to take. I confess, my sister and I usually take more than our fair share. What can I say, pomegranates are delicious, and nobody ever trick-or-treats on our street anyway.
Speaking of Halloween traditions, though, there's a new one this year. (I don't really know if it can be called a tradition if it's new, but just go with it.) Neil Gaiman has proposed All Hallow's Read, which consists simply of giving someone (or someones) a scary book for Halloween. That's it. Nothing else. Give someone a scary book. If you want to learn more, go to the brand new All Hallow's Read site here, and if you end up looking for a list of scary books, I found two good ones here and here.
not my picture, clearly. credit goes to dan guy, at a guess.
So, today was good. I went out to lunch with my friends and had yummy Italian food (and just realized that I seem to have officially switched over to thinking in Egyptian pounds, since I was beating myself up over whether or not to buy the more expensive dish that cost six whole dollars. Wow. I am so dead when I get back to the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment